Face yoga stimulates the muscles of the face, many of which become numb and weak as you get older. By strengthening your muscles and engaging them in resistance training, you can help your body increase skin circulation by allowing it to regenerate skin cells and become firmer, counteracting the visible signs of aging.
Now that you understand how facial yoga works, here are some quick and easy exercises that you can add to your morning routine to start reaching that youthful definition.
1. Forehead Smoother
This exercise uses acupressure to eliminate tension at key points on the forehead. With constant practice, this relaxing movement will help prevent wrinkles and soften persistent forehead lines.
- Make two fists and place them on the forehead.
- Apply pressure using the middle and index finger joints.
- Hold the pressure while slowly sliding the handles to the sides.
- Finish at the temples by gently applying more pressure.
- Repeat four times.
2. Jaw Stretch
By squeezing the jawline with this neck adjustment exercise, you can avoid fine lines, trim any unwanted fat on the jaw and stabilize the biggest enemy of a selfie: the jowl.
- Purse your lips to the side until you feel a stretch in the cheek.
- Turn your head to this side and lift at a 45-degree angle.
- Hold for 3 seconds to feel the stretch in the neck.
- Repeat once and then switch to the other side.
3. Manual facelift
While smiling a lot is a good thing, it can also leave you with smile lines. This general exercise helps soften the nasolabial folds (smile lines) and promotes circulation in the face for a youthful and healthy appearance.
An alternative for Face yoga fillers, medium lifts
- Put both hands on the temples.
- Push the palms up and back to lift the sides of the face.
- Make an “O” shape with your mouth and release your chin.
- Hold for 5 seconds and repeat two more times.
4. Cheek Plumper
Round cheeks are a hallmark of a young, “childish” face. Lift the cheek muscles and push against the natural gravity of your skin to give them a higher and more voluminous appearance.
- Close your lips tightly.
- Suck your cheeks, forming “fish lips” with your mouth.
- Hold this position for up to 10 seconds.
- Repeat 5 times.
5. Temple Lift
Fallen eyelids are another common sign of aging. By raising your temples regularly, you can help soften flabby skin and folds near the eyes.
- Raise one arm above your head, placing the fingertips on your temples.
- Place the ring finger on the corner of the eyebrow.
- Press down to raise and then lower your head toward your shoulder.
- Hold this pose for a few seconds.
- Repeat on the other side.
6. Full face
This advanced yoga exercise effectively involves your entire face. It has the effect of toning, defining and activating the cheeks and the lower regions of the face. As you stretch, you should feel a slight burn at the corners of your mouth and cheeks, the type of burn caused by good exercise.
- Make an “O” with your mouth and fold your lips over your teeth.
- Smile with the corners of your mouth.
- Put your fingers on your cheeks and apply firm pressure.
- Close your eyes and move your chin away from your face.
- Hold for 20 seconds and repeat three times.
7. Firmer eye
By “stretching” your eyes and applying pressure to the surrounding areas, you can help complete the lines that come from the dreaded crow’s feet. This exercise can also wake you up in the morning by smoothing your eye bags and soothing your swollen eyes.
- Form a “V” with your fingers and place them on your eyebrows.
- Apply pressure and, without tilting your head, look at the ceiling.
- Lift the lower eyelids to form a wink.
- Relax and repeat six more times.
- Finish closing your eyes for 10 seconds.
8. Giraffe neck
Because the surrounding skin is thinner, your neck is one of the first areas that show signs of aging. Daily stretching of the platysma muscle in the neck can help reaffirm the natural tension of the joint and even soften the jawline and the mouth area.
- Place the fingertips on the clavicle.
- Tilt your head back and wrinkle your lips tightly.
- When the head is tilted back, project the lower lip and place the fingers on the clavicle.
- Bring your head to your chest and repeat two more times.
- Hold for four deep breaths.
Does Face Yoga really work to fight to age?
There is evidence that face yoga can work to fight to age. A study by Northwestern Medicine showed that a 30-minute daily facial exercise, performed for more than 20 weeks, could make middle-aged women look three years younger. Participants reported measurable, fuller cheeks and firmer skin.
But like any form of exercise, you must commit to the regiment to effectively strengthen these muscles. For best results at home, experts suggest doing face yoga up to six days a week for approximately 30 minutes a day.
Because it does not require equipment, facial yoga is a simple, non-invasive and economical way to achieve results that improve the skin. To complement your anti-aging exercises, select a perfume or cologne that can give you a fresh, radiant and youthful aura.
Photo preview credit: © Fragrancex.com.com